Support to Pandemic Preparedness in the East African Community (EAC) Region
Location: East African Community (EAC) Region | Funded by: GIZ
- Provide capacity development for individuals in the region working on pandemic preparedness programs. This included developing a course on the One Health Approach which will be adopted at universities throughout the region and can be scaled up to become a master’s program in the future.
- Design a course on the One Health Approach including the course content, course materials, examination materials, facilitator’s guide and supplementary materials.
- Promote the program and gaining its acceptance in multiple university curricula in the region.
- Oversee the piloting of the course at Egerton University in Kenya.
Project description: The project on “Support to pandemic preparedness in the EAC region” aims at improving the health of people in the region by improving the EAC Secretariat’s support for Partner Countries pandemic preparedness programs. Specifically, the project covers three fields of activity:
- Institutionalising the One Health approach and operationalising the regional pandemic preparedness plan across member countries.
- Developing a regional risk and crisis communication strategy that reflects the One Health approach and then implementing in member countries.